Season Two is the second season of Netflix's Altered Carbon. The season was confirmed by the Altered Carbon Twitter account on July 27, 2018. Anthony Mackie will replace Joel Kinnaman in the role of Takeshi Kovacs. It aired in its entirety on February 27, 2020, and consisted of eight episodes.
- Season 2 of the sophisticated and compelling sci-fi drama finds Takeshi Kovacs (Anthony Mackie), the lone surviving soldier of a group of elite interstellar warriors, continuing his centuries-old quest to find his lost love Quellcrist Falconer (Renée Elise Goldsberry). After decades of planet-hopping and searching the galaxy, Kovacs finds himself recruited back to his home planet of Harlan's World with the promise of finding Quell. Haunted by his past and responsible for investigating a series of brutal murders, Kovacs is stunned to discover his new mission to solve the crime and his pursuit to find Quell is one and the same. With the help of his loyal A.I. Poe (Chris Conner), Kovacs must now partner with new allies to outwit his enemies and find the truth: Who is Quellcrist Falconer?
- Anthony Mackie as Takeshi Kovacs
- Renée Elise Goldsberry as Quellcrist Falconer
- Lela Loren as Governor Danica Harlan
- Simone Missick as Trepp
- Chris Conner as Poe
- Dina Shihabi as Annabel Lee
- Torben Liebrecht as Jaeger/Colonel Ivan Carrera
On July 27, 2018, Season 2 was officially announced by Netflix. Alison Schapker joined the series as co-showrunner alongside Laeta Kalogridis, per her deal with Skydance TV. Under her deal with Skydance, Schapker was named sole showrunner on Altered Carbon, during the production of Season 2. Kalogridis will continue to serve as executive producer but will no longer be the showrunner.
Season two officially began filming in February 2019. P.J. Dillon served as a cinematographer for four episodes in season two.
The major critique for Season Two was its noticeable smaller budget that restricted the series from spending much time on new planets or locations. Despite this, it is still one of the most expensive series for Netflix to produce.
- As showrunner Laeta Kalogridis formerly teased, Season Two explored gender fluidity and transgender issues.
- Thirty-years have passed since the events of Season One.
- One day after its release, Altered Carbon trended number four on Netflix in the United States. It then fluctuated between number four and number five for over a week.
- Twitter @AltCarb - Season 2 renewal news
- Deadline.com Season renewas and cast replacements
- Alison Schapker Inks Overall Deal With Skydance TV, Named Sole Showrunner Of ‘Altered Carbon’
- ‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’: ‘Vikings’ Alum P.j. Dillon Serves as Cinematographer on Disney+ Miniseries
- Altered Carbon season 2 could explore gender fluidity and transgender issues, says series boss